Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Second Languages

I absolutely admire people who can speak a second language. To me, that would be such an amazing gift to have! I would love to be able to do that. I am working on my Chinese right now, and have been for over a year now, but it is an interesting language that takes a lot of time to learn. On my second trip to China, I stayed with some friends of ours for six weeks. While there, it was so much easier to pick up on the language because I was emersed for so long. But back in America, it is definitely harder. Hopefully I will be able to further my language skills even more when I travel back next month. I am SO excited to be returning soon! It especially amazes me when there are people who speak multiple languages. Barely anybody in America can do that! It is such an American thing to be fluent in one language and kind of know another one. In other countries such a large amount of people are fluent in different languages. That is so cool! I really want to be able to do that someday, and how I would love to be able to think in different languages. That would be amazing to me! Anyway... that's what I think. How about you?

1 comment:

Cyndi said...

Oh, I KNOW!!! One of my favorite questions to ask multilingual people is, "What language to you think in?" Most have told me that they think in whatever language they are speaking at the time. My head would probably explode...