Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Way Of The Game

Driving back and forth. Being with awesome teammates. Sweating. Running. Shooting. Guarding. Bruising. = my weekend, also known as a basketball tournament.

I started thinking today about how basketball really does have so many similarities to everyday life. Yesterday we had games at 10am and then at 12pm. I remember thinking before the second game how I wasn't really in the mood to play anymore. I was icing my knee from the game before, I was tired from lack of sleep and I didn't really feel like working. But then I started thinking to myself...What good is it going to do for me to play with this mindset? I'm going to play the game no matter what. The coaches and teammates count on each of their players to be there and do their part- that's what being on a team is about. Playing with the mindset of "'I'd rather do something else', 'I'll let my team do the work', or 'I'm bruised, tired and don't feel like putting in the effort'" wasn't going to do me or my team any good at all, and I knew I needed to change my thinking.

I think this applies to so many of the things we do in life. There are times when we're sore, tired, grumpy, and just don't want to do what we need to accomplish. It'd be easy to sit back and pout or have a bad attitude about it, but either way we're still going to have to do that certain thing. That's the way of the game, and it's unavoidable. Having a poor, hateful, or angry mindset going into a task is never going to help us succeed- pessimist attitudes are only going to bring us and those around us down. Sometimes our outlook on things can transform results and have a greater effect then we know of. Stepping up to the plate and doing what our team needs us to do is part of life. We can do this with sighs, huffs, and puffs, or we can choose to take the higher road and play our part as a blessing, not as an annoyance or a stumbling block. Our Coach and teammates need us.


"A joyful heart makes a cheerful face, but when the heart is sad, the spirit is broken."
Proverbs 15:13

No comments: